December 23, 2012
Chinese medicine yields secrets to scientists at The Scripps Research Institute
LA JOLLA, CA December 23, 2012 - The mysterious inner workings of Chang Shan - a Chinese herbal medicine used for thousands of years to treat fevers associated with malaria - have been uncovered thanks to a high-resolution structure solved at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI)
May 20 2011
Beta-Elemene-induced Autophagy Protects Human Gastric Cancer Cells from Undergoing Apoptosis
– "Beta-Elemene, a compound found in an herb used in traditional Chinese medicine, has shown promising anti-cancer effects against a broad spectrum of tumors…"
Apr 27 2011
Curcumin Naturally Fights Cancer, Heart Disease, Alzheimer`s Disease and Obesity
– "Curcumin is one of a small number of super nutrients which has the demonstrated ability to dramatically lower the risk from cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer`s disease…"
Feb 17 2009
Natural Plant Chemicals Work Together in Herbal Remedy to Halt Cancer Growth
– " The traditional Chinese herb Scutellaria contains chemicals that together can significantly slow the growth of cancer…"
Feb 06 2009
East Meets West
– "Integrating Chinese Medicine may ease side effects…"
Jan 29 2009
Red Rice Yeast Slows Prostate Cancer
– " A recent study in the Journal of Medicinal Food finds that red yeast rice can significantly slow the growth of prostate cancer cells…"
Feb 27 2008
Indian Herb May Prevent Liver Cancer
– " Research shows the extract of a plant that grows in india, A. iliciflius, prevents cancer-related DNA…"
Apr 22nd 2007
Merged Sciences May Aid Cancer Treatment
– " Western science and traditional Eastern medicine could be combined to enhance treatment of cancer and other diseases …"
Jan 30th 2007
Chinese folk remedy may yield antitumor substances
– " There are a number of naturally occurring chemicals that are used in phototherapy of skin diseases …"
Aug 1st 2006
Mushroom extract may boost prostate cancer drug
– " Extracts from a mushroom used for centuries in Eastern Asian medicine may be able to boost the power of a leading …"
Apr 26th 2006
Healing plants found in Borneo forest: WWF
– "Plants thought to help treat or cure cancer, AIDS and malaria have been found in the rainforests of Borneo, a report from the Swiss-based …"
Mar 30th 2006
Ginseng Tied to Better Breast Cancer Survival
– " Women who use the herb ginseng may be more likely to survive breast cancer, and have a better quality of life after treatment …"
Nov 9th 2005
Rare herb could treat melanoma
– " A traditional Vietnamese medicinal herb may have useful anti-melanoma properties …"
Sep 28th 2004
Herbal remedies 'do work'
– " Scientific tests on a range of traditional remedies have shown they have "real benefits", researchers say …"
Aug 2nd 2004
Herbal medicine significantly inhibited the growth of gastric tumor, pharmacological study
– " A team of researchers in University of Hong Kong has been studying a kind of herbal medicine in …"
Jul 5th 2004
Mint hope for cancer cure
– " SCIENTISTS at Salford University are working on a possible cure for cancer - from mint leaves…"
Jun 20th 2004
University of Missouri's Southwest Center is trying to determine whether a traditional Chinese herbal medicine can help prevent lung cancer
– " Mount Vernon - Starting with an unassuming plant that…"
May 5th 2004
Chinese Herb May Have Cancer Fighting Properties
– " NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A popular Chinese herb was able to ward off the development of cancerous abnormalities in…"
Cancer chemopreventive activity of a mixture of Chinese herbs (antitumor B) in mouse lung tumor models.
Mar 23rd 2004
USPTO Supports Greater Protection for Traditional Knowledge and Folklore
– "The Commerce Department's United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) supported..."
Rasagenthi lehyam (RL) a novel complementary and alternative medicine for prostate cancer
Experimental Study on Antitumor Effects of Dioscorea in Vitro
Feb 19th 2004
Eye of the Dragon
– “The sweet longan…literally means dragon eye…used as a herb in traditional Chinese medicine…anti-cancer and anti-aging food also nurtures kidneys, lungs…”
Feb 4th 2004
HK receives grants for Chinese Medicine study projects
– “…Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) announced her Wednesday that the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine..."
Treatment of Post-remission Acute Myeloid Leukemia by Lingxiong Piaoling Power and Longchan Cigu Decoction
Triptolide down-regulates bcr-abl expression and induces apoptosis in chronic myelogenous leukemia cells.
Gleditsia sinensis fruit extract induced growth inhibition involves basic fibroblast growth factor and nitric oxide.
vitro cytotoxic activity of Thai medicinal plants used traditionally to treat cancer
Aqueous extract of herba Scutellaria barbatae, a chinese herb used for ovarian cancer, induces apoptosis of ovarian cancer cell lines.
Oct 28th 2003
Skullcap for Cancer
– “…some of the newest cancer-fighting drugs. But…New studies show anticancer effects in ginger, tea made from a Chinese herb called barbed skullca, and…"
Antitumor and antimetastatic activities of Angelica keiskei roots, Part 1: Isolation of an active substance, xanthoangelol.
In vitro anticancer activities of Leonurus heterophyllus sweet (Chinese motherwort herb).
Biologic activity of spores and dried powder from Ganoderma lucidum for the inhibition of highly invasive human breast and prostate cancer cells.
July 31st 2003
Scientists Find Antitumor Compounds In Magnolia Cones
– “ The beloved southern magnolia, state flower of Louisiana and Mississippi, could provide more to cancer patients than shade and…"
Magnolol induces apoptosis in human leukemia cells via cytochrome c release and caspase activation.
New TNF-alpha releasing inhibitors as cancer preventive agents from traditional herbal medicine and combination cancer prevention study with EGCG and sulindac or tamoxifen.
ERK signaling pathway is involved in p15INK4b/p16INK4a expression and HepG2 growth inhibition triggered by TPA and Saikosaponin a.
Phyllanthus urinaria triggers the apoptosis and Bcl-2 down-regulation in Lewis lung carcinoma cells.
Triptolide inhibits the growth and metastasis of solid tumors.
Effect of bitter melon (Momordica charantia Linn) on level and function of natural killer cells in cervical cancer patients with radiotherapy.
Studies of herbal supplements KSC-SPES vs Equiguard on normal and cancer cells of the prostate.
Oct 17th 2002
Chinese Herb Found Effective in Controlling Liver Cancer
– “Traditional Chinese herb Ganoderma lucidum is proving effective in limiting the growth of liver cancer.A research team..."
Aug 19th 2002
British experts urge study of exotic mushrooms for cancer treatment
– “LONDON (Reuters Health) - Mushrooms used in traditional Asian medicines have the potential to yield treatment..."
July 9th 2002
Local breakthrough in anti-cancer herbs discovered from Taiwan's United Daily News
– “A major breakthrough has been made in a locally developed anti-cancer medicine with…”
Clinical Study on Effect of Astragalus in Efficacy Enhancing and Toxicity Reducing of Chemotherapy in Patients of Malignant Tumor.
Cellular pharmacology studies of shikonin derivatives.
[The effect of L-Glutamine and Shakuyaku-Kanzo-to forpaclitaxel-induced myalgia/arthralgia]
Japanese Herbal Medicine in Patients with Advanced Lung Cancer: Prolongation of Survival?
Jan 16th 2002
Herb extract appears to trigger 'suicide' in cancer cells
–“ People with cancer may find new hope in the form of an old Chinese herb. An extract of the herb, called triptolide…”
Jun 12th 2000
UCSF begins studies of Chinese and Tibetan herbal remedies for breast cancer
–“ Researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, have begun several studies of …”
[Studies of Echinopsis multiplex on antineoplastic effects]